Saturday, May 18, 2013



Several months ago, I embarked on the idea of eating a Raw Foods diet.  In case you are not aware, a raw food diet means that none of the food has been heated above 118 degrees fahrenheit.  You would be surprised to see how difficult it is to find this type of food.  Most nuts are roasted, milks are pasteurized with extreme heat, processed snacks are cooked as well.  The reason Raw Foodists choose to eat raw is typically for one main reason.  Extreme heat (and chemicals) kills off the important nutrition in food.

I never had the plan of "all-or-nothing."  I just simply wanted to cut out some chemicals in my food.  I figured eating raw would be fairly simple for me since I don't remember the last time I used a can opener and I don't even own a microwave.  This idea started when I looked at my almond milk container.  I've always thought I was doing the right thing by drinking almond, soy or coconut milk.  I couldn't believe how much garbage is in a carton of that stuff!  It should be illegal!  Anyway, I dropped into Barnes and Noble and purchased a raw foods book.  Here it is several months, four books, numerous instructional videos and many dollars later and I have learned so much!  I've learned how to dissect a coconut to use the meat for noodles, how to make my own coffee creamer, how many almonds it takes to make a glass of almond milk and how to make my own cold cereal.  One thing I discovered right away with a raw diet is that is is expensive.  Raw nuts, exotic spices and pure oils get pricey.  Furthermore, the necessary tools for this type of eating get expensive as well.  A dehydrator with temperature controls, blender, juicer, food processor, spiral veggie cutter and sprout jars all add up.  Another thing I have learned is to read an entire recipe thoroughly from start to finish before even thinking about creating it.  There's a good chance the ingredients require hours or days of sprouting, hours of dehydrating or lots of marinating time.  I've had some expensive failures.  The raw lasagna was hardly edible, the stuffed avocados were way too spicy and the macadamia nut cheesecake tasted like earth.  However, I've had quite a few successes.

So what's the final word?  I feel absolutely amazing!  My energy levels are amazing.  I very rarely feel tired or groggy during the day.  My overall mood and sense of well-being is fantastic!  Its been worth every dollar and ounce of time I have put into preparing dishes.

If the idea of eating a raw diet is overwhelming, I suggest at least reading labels on food and choosing foods with very little alterations.  Skip the roasted nuts for raw ones.  Learn about a new type of produce every once in a while...think dragon fruit, young thai coconut and kaffir lime.  Throw together your own pasta sauce and avoid cooking it.  I know it sounds crazy...but you'd be surprised how great it tastes sans simmering when fresh herbs are used.  Use dates or honey instead of table sugar.  But if its the only thing you do, try the apple pie recipe!  Its a favorite among my friends:)

Crust:
1 3/4 c almonds
1 Tbs canola oil
5 fresh dates
pinch of nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 Tbs honey

Filling:
1 - 2 apples
1 banana
2 dats
1 tsp cinnamon

Garnish:
2-3 apples
cinnamon, to taste

1. Finely chop the nuts in a food processor.
2. Add oil, dates, spices and salt.  Mix.
3. Add the honey and mix to form a dough.
4. Spread the dough out into the bottom of a pie dish.
5. Thoroughly blend the filling ingredients in food processor.  Spread on crust.
6. Garnish with sliced apples and sprinkle with cinnamon.

No comments: