Friday, July 9, 2010



I have learned an important lesson. Before adopting any dog, research the behaviors of their breed. We’ve all checked before obtaining a dog, yes. We verify that Great Danes need a lot of room to lay around. Jack Russells need plenty of exercise. But I’ve learned to REALLY look into what exactly a breed desires and thinks. I adopted Whitney the first week of March knowing that a hunting dog is probably going to need plenty of exercise. What I DIDN’T know is that a hunting dog also needs plenty of HUNTING. Sorry, puppy, but you belong to a vegetarian in the city. Whitney’s desire to hunt is out of control. One of my mom’s chickens is missing a patch of feathers to prove this. Every bird is pointed at as if it’s the only bird in Salt Lake City. Today on a coffee shop patio, Whitney let everyone at the coffee shop know that a small, defenseless bird was in the bushes by pointing and then aggressively destroying the bushes to find the feathered friend. When I finally pulled her out of the bushes, she was so uptight over the altercation, that she was drooling and shaking. When Whitney is off leash, she completely takes off. I’ve had advice from all directions. “Carry treats,” I’ve been told. Are you serious? A hunting dog could care less about a measly biscuit in your pocket when they are all the way on the other side of town chasing that one, silly sparrow. Last week, I finally went against everything I believe in and bought a shock collar. The new lesson I learned? NEVER SAY NEVER. That shock collar is the best thing that ever happened. I was getting so tired of having a dog that takes off no matter what measures are taken to ensure she stays with me. So whether she now listens to me out of fear or love, I could care less at this point.

2 comments:

Nancy Nina said...

I never thought I would be a supporter of shock collars either. But then I had one shock me and it was more of a tingly feeling than a shock and I said, "Sign this dog up!" Yep, wise investment.

Jon and Janice said...

Well Kid, it was great seeing you today. You look happy and so does that pup of yours, good luck with the little girl. Find ya a huntin friend that she can tag along with from time to time. Maybe she'll get it out of her system (not). Later, me